Statement of Intent
At Parkside, we believe Science taps into children’s natural curiosity, promoting scientific thought, reasoning, questioning, the thrill of discovery and the ability to find meaning in what is observed.
We aim to:
- Teach children to think as scientists.
- Teach children to relate their experiences of science to life in the real world.
- Teach children to ask scientific questions and begin to appreciate the way science will affect their future on a personal, national, and global level.
- Allow children to discover concepts revealed through observing scientific phenomena and conducting experimental investigations for themselves.
- Allow children to acquire the necessary knowledge, but also understand its value, enjoying the experience of working scientifically, and sustaining their interest in learning it.
How you can help at home
Every day is filled with opportunities to learn Science! As a parent you don’t need a strong background in Science to help your child learn.
Here are some ways in which you can support:
- Have fun cooking and encourage your child to talk about what happens to the ingredients as you mix or heat them. Encourage your child to describe the texture, taste and smell of different foods.
- Look at non-fiction books together to find out about things of interest to them.
- Research current science topics
- Get outside, explore the outdoors, watch plants grow, plant own vegetables.
And most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Try some experiments at home here https://sciencebob.com/category/experiments/ or here http://eastmidlands.madscience.org/parentzone.aspx